Monday, October 21, 2013

Mahon ~ Year Two


I'm so glad I registered on-line because had I not gotten the call-up for this one I'd have been starting at the back of the pack. The citizen men's class, the class I'm in, started at the same time as the cat. 3/4's. Not sure why they formatted it this way but it made for a nasty bottle neck and some screeching brakes going into the first tight lefty. It took an entire lap to catch my buddy who was only a bike length ahead of me at the start line. Thankfully it's acceptable to get those elbows up and grind folks in the corners. Some creative lines certainly were a benefit to my overall race.

I loved this course. Last year it was similar but with more muck and fewer tight switchbacks. The organizers pre-watered the existing mud pit to help it be nasty after all this dry weather we've been having and they did an amazing job of piecing together as many dismounts as possible, some straight-aways, sand, side hills and several steep, fast ups and downs and the all too enjoyable Shimano barrier set.

Marx socks carry me lightly over the barriers.
I felt fairly good out there as my control is improving in the tight corners and on the dismounts and remounts. Unfortunately I'm still lacking on the straights. Ain't got no spin.

In hot pursuit of Quadzilla. Thank god for my 40 psi decision.
Until next time...

October 23rd, Post Script:

No comments:

Post a Comment