Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Runner's Rats Nest

It took a few minutes to organize these memory medals for the photo but when I found them they were all twisted and wrapped around each other like ear buds; a rats nest. They certainly do not represent all the races of my past but each has it's sentimental little story and finding them today was fun. Finding $20 in my ski jacket would have been better but c'est la vie.

Looking through them now I see:
  • 5 Knee Knacker Finishes
  • 2 Meet Your Maker Finishes (1 a relay)
  • 2 Momar Placings - 2nd and 3rd
  • 3 Dirty Duo Placings - All 1st place mens relay
  • 1 Squamish 50 Mile Finisher
  • 1 Remembrance Day 8k -3rd place
  • 2 1st half marathon
  • 1 Okanagan Half Marathon
  • 3 Victoria Half Marathon
Who knows what else is buried in the other drawers or lost in storage room boxes? I was glad to find these today and particular grateful for having not tossed them following race day.  I often have a difficult time finding a place to put them or the will to keep them. I'm not vain enough to frame them or hang them so they live in a drawer at my workplace. 

Do you have a rats nest? What do you do with yours?

3 comments:

  1. No rats nest here, just a big collection. I just hang them all in my garage, off of screws drilled in the wall. Also off of those screws hang bike helmets....The medals are organized by distance or event: ultras on one hanger, marathons on another, half marathons on yet another. All shorter distances are on another hook...I really don't know what to do with them, and some I am more proud of than others. They all represent something special from different parts of my athletic endeavors.

    My kids do take them off and we sometimes have a family olympics--they come in pretty handy for those events!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I had a garage. Space is at a premium here in apartment land. I do like the idea of a family Olympics though. Do you keep kickin' ass and winning your own medals back though?

    So true how some have much more value and meaning. Some are a good story and that's all while others are linked to some serious emotion and purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Planning on doing the Remembrance Day 8k this year again? It is my favourite X-Country race.

    ReplyDelete