Saturday, October 1, 2011

XC Season is here!

Last weekend's Buntzen lake 5 Peaks marked then end of trail season and today's Crescent Park XC marks the start of something new...and fun.

The leaves are becoming yellow, orange, and brown and they make that wicked crunchy sound under foot. No runner would say they don't enjoy a run this time of year.

This mornings 4 loops of Crescent Park was so fun, but in the same breath a real wheezer. Out front of the Lazy Trail Runner, I knew he was just behind. It was way too quiet back there and his sneak-attack style race plan always gets me. Not today though. After 26 minutes of being ahead of him, and 500 or so meters to go, he pulled into the lead and put about 40 strides on me. I knew that if I was going to beat him he couldn't get any further ahead...and he didn't. Fighting back in the final 100 meters, I crept back quietly. Really quietly. Like a cat on grass. The LTR had no idea I was there and with 10 meters to go I showed him what the finish line looks like under my Speed Cross 3's.

The next XC installment isn't until October 29th in Aldergrove Regional Park. Come on out and burn up some lungs with the other Provincial Championship racers. You might even catch a glimpse of my new Salomon Fell Cross. Very svelt and could be the ideal XC shoe.

1 comment:

  1. Great race...lots of fun. Nothing wrong with our sneak attacks. All about the strategy...gotta use ur wits and ur legs in these short fasties...oooui!

    dc

    ReplyDelete