Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2011~ Playing, Training, and Racing

The new year has officially begun with my commute back to work this morning and some scheduled living. The holiday was filled with some incredible tele turns at Sun Peaks, a rippin' ski day at Revelstoke, trying my hand at skate and classic cross country skiing, a few days in the gym and a few too many calories. That "one more cookie/just another beer" mentality took hold of me this year and I'm getting okay with that. The upside is that I'm stuffed liked Turkey Tom before Thanksgiving and packed with energy and reserves for starting the upcoming year of training and racing.

My major goal for last year was to do my first 50 miler and try a new course and I managed to get it done. My performance at Stormy wasn't completely satisfying to me, but just completing something so daunting leaves me feeling great about checking off my goals for this season.

Two things will change for 2011, my running mileage won't be aimed at 50 miles again and I plan to add back some variety/cross training. I'm certainly not done with the 50 mile distance, but training for a 50 miler with an infant at home takes away the team approach to parenting. Too many long runs lays the work load in Lara's lap and she too is training for Big Sur in May and perhaps another ultra this summer. As well, I found that putting in the long runs kept me away from a variety of other sports, like mountain biking and kayaking. To me, having largely dumped those activities in 2010 is certainly a contributing factor to some of my injuries in late summer. Part of achieving this goal began back in November when I met with Curb Ivanic, Core Running, to begin some strength training. 2011 will see me continue to work with Curb and hopefully periodize my racing and training a bit more purposefully.

The year to September...before cross country season begins once again...

Dirty Duo 25k (March 12th): My first race of the year will be a tough 25km's. It's shaping up to be a team race with one of North Vancouver's fastest mountain bikers. No names yet, sorry.

Golden Ears 5 Peaks 14k (April 23rd) -

Iron Knee 25k (May 29th) - This is a classic from Grouse to Deep Cove and always gives me an idea of where I am at in terms of my strengths and weaknesses.

West Coast Trail Run 75k-ish (June 4/5th) - This one is another great adventure run. An incredible group of about 10 guys has this one marked on the calendar tentatively based on weather and conditions. We certainly won't be running at Gary Robbins record pace, but we'll take a lot of photos and enjoy a challenging and unique experience of a life time.

SFU 5 Peaks 9.8k (June11th)

Test of Metal 67k (June 18th) -It's been a few years since I raced this one on a mountain bike, but I'm really looking forward to the training for variety. In the past I have come close to the elusive 3:30 marker, but never have I beat it. This year, it's on.

Knee Knacker (July 9th) - In 2010 I was incredibly disappointed not to make it through the lottery, but ultimately happy to mark the course with some amazing lads and support the Lazy Trailer Runner as he rocked the course. I'm keeping my goal time a secret on this one.

Mount Seymour 5 Peaks (11.7k) (July 23rd)

Stormy Relay (TBA) - Of course I ran the 50 miler last year, but this year I hope to join or create a team. A solid group of runners beat the course relay record in 2010 and I'd like to be part of a team that does so again.

Whistler 5 Peaks (10.6k) (August 20th)

Gran Fondo Whistler (120k) (September 10th) - Another addition to my efforts at diversifying my training and playing activities. This gorgeous ride will take me to Whistler for the annual CPR weekend with another terrific group of guys. Training will keep me off my feet for some low impact exercise. I hope it's as beautiful a day as last year.

Buntzen Lake 5 Peaks (15.5k) (September 24th)

That's it. It's a busy schedule, but it will certainly keep me focused and directed. As I've said before, I am a very goal-oriented guy so these athletic goals should keep me healthy and motivated. It feels good to have these goals and to start ramping things up again. For now...

RUN NOW...

This ought to summarize it all:



created at TagCrowd.com






4 comments:

  1. Love the balance that you & Laura have worked out. Active and healthy parents are without doubt the best! You have an amazing year ahead of you.

    I'd also love to hit up Stormy relay so keep me in mind if you throw a team together.

    Good Luck & Happy Training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that your getting back on the bike this year and running lots of good meaty nth shore trail races!

    Would love to hear more about your West Coast trail run as the time draws closer.

    Cheers and Happy New Year!

    Pricey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any room for a girl on your wct trip?

    Im signed up for test as well, we shall have to get out for some rides!!!! In my new backyard! Im so stoked for knacker this year....should be a good show down! B/w me and you that is.....YES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments everyone. It really is going to be an interesting year. I look forward to my balanced regime and the continuation of my showdown with NG.

    ReplyDelete